|Approximate Coordinates:||x: 0, z: -3000|
|Founded:||Sept. 8, 2011|
|Curator(s):|| Giltwist |
|Travel:||Helicopter at Spawn|
|Permits:||Permitted Users in Mechanicsburg|
Mechanicsburg (named after a fictional city from webcomic Girl Genius) is an ambitious city designed from the ground up by Giltwist. The primary goal is to build an entire modern metropolis to scale utilizing the Modern Pack assembled, again, by Giltwist. The city is in its earliest design phases. However, it is known that the first phase of building will be the downtown area - a square 3000 blocks on a side. Additionally, due to the demanding and precise nature of this project, participation is by invitation only and will require following a detailed, but flexible building plan.
- Pink - Airport
- Yellow - Downtown
- 1 - Misc.
- 2 - Misc.
- 3 - Tutorial Tower
- 4 - Misc.
- 5 - Residential Hi-rises
- 6 - Misc.
- 7 - Mechanicsburg Elementary
- 8 - Slums
- 9 - Misc.
- 10 - Misc.
- 11 - Central Park
- 12 - Misc.
- 13 - Misc.
- White - Arts District
- Purple - Mjolnir Mall
- Green - Rich Suburb
- Red - Off-axis Island
- Cyan - Harbor (Planned)
- Orange - Tourism (Planned)
How to Participate
Updated: May 13, 2012
Holocene is here, and some of the infrastructure work on Mechanicsburg has already begun, and the first buildings have started to appear. Below are some options for how you can help.
This is the current high priority for Mechanicsburg. Please review the Mechanicsburg Zoning Ordinance before starting a Sandbox build; it may give you some ideas about what you could build. Houses are at the absolute bottom of the list as far as needs. That sort of suburban building will come later. We need the sorts of buildings you'd find downtown in a major city like Pittsburgh or Chicago. That being said, the following is a list of key points for getting accepted into Mechanicsburg's curation.
- Low Density Residential
- Expensive ultramodern homes
- Medium Density Residential
- Row houses
- High Density Residential
- High-rise apartments (both upscale and tenement)
- Residential Services
- Ethnic Restaurants
- Symphony Hall
- Department Stores
- Small businesses
- Strip malls
- Transportation / Utility
- Subway Station Terminal
- Power plant
- Public Service
- Post office
- Cars / Vehicles
- Clanks (Clockwork robots that do everyday tasks)
- Coffee Shops
- Construction sites (we already have one)
- Generic "restaurants" (specific styles such as "sushi bar" are acceptable)
- Parks (these will go in last)
- BUILD. TO. SCALE
- While I understand that real walls are not often a meter thick, do the best you can to build with the understanding that one block is a cubic meter. A house should be AT LEAST 15x20, an office building should be AT LEAST 30x30, and a skyscraper should be AT LEAST 30x40 - just to give some examples. Most rooms should be 3 if not 4 blocks tall, and special rooms like lobbies and atriums might be as much as 8 blocks tall.
- Do some research.
- Chances are your build will not be accepted unless you can show Giltwist some photographic references, a blueprint or something that demonstrates you have spent some time considering materials, style and - most importantly - scale.
- Use 2-thick walls and floors
- When was the last time you were in a real world building where the second floors carpet was visible from the first floor?
- Don't build a flat, boring, gray box
- While many real world building fit this description, this is the Voxel Box, dammit. At least put some nice 3D effects and contrast blocks into your design's exterior.
- Plan your interior from the ground up.
- Nothing spoils a good build faster than building an exterior shell then trying to force rooms to fit nicely inside. Something is always off about it.
- The Sandbox is a great place to experiment with the Modern Pack
- Mechanicsburg will need cars, billboards, and all sorts of other minor details that might be a smaller first project than a building.
- Map downtown area and terraform as needed.
- Lay out at least 15 city blocks from city center
- Build crucial city features
- Begin zoning, block filling and road expansion
- Develop public transportation.
Policies and Guidelines
- Mechanicsburg Commonly Built Objects
- Mechanicsburg Sizing Standards
- Mechanicsburg Zoning Ordinance
- Mechanicsburg Transit Ideas (Sandbox legislation area, by Post)
- Mayor - Giltwist
- Secretary of Transportation - plusnine
- Air Traffic Controller - Aitren
- Road Crew