The New Trade Cities
|The Trade Cities|
|Approximate Coordinates:||x: -4100 z: - 800|
|Continent:||The Wild West, Facet|
|Founded:||February 2011, Combined with other cities October 2011, Re-located December 2011|
|Contributing Builders:||Too many to list!|
|Related Cities / Areas:||Spawn Point|
|Travel:||Portal Train, MetroVox, Air Voxel, Road|
The New Trade Cities are a large expanse of structures sitting atop a plateau in The Wild West. They boast an impressive collection of structures built by members that span the Ranks, including several structures built in the Guest Zones and moved into the cities.
The cities are styled as mid-century industrial with a bit of whimisical flair.
Getting there from the Spawn Point
There is Portal Train at the Spawn Point that travels to the New Trade Cities, making it an easy destination for visitors and members.
Portal Train Service
- Coach, Car 1: To Spawn Point
- Coach, Car 2: To Anok
- Business Class Car: unassigned
- Sleeper Car: unassigned
- Diner Car: unassigned
- Elitist Pricks Car: unassigned
- Hobo Car: unassigned
Other VoxelPort Travel
- A small flying craft on the roofs of the cheerful Anzanita Embassy in the trainyard will carry passengers to beautiful Anzanita.
There are two intra-city rail lines available.
- The Portal Train Shuttle runs from just outside the MetroVox Industries building in the Train Yard (look to your right after you exit the Portal Train from the Spawn Point) to Downtown. This line is a clean burrow into the mass of rock that lies beneath the cities with a sharp rise to the top.
- The Downtown Commuter + Lowerton Local carries passengers from one block north of Ninewerks Labs out to the suburbs of Lowerton at the base of the waterfall. This line operates in a wide circle that traces the cliff. It provides spectacular views of the lake and trainyard.
There is also a city-to-city rail under construction. The station for these lines is below ground at the west end of the Train Yard.
Lastly a small blimp station on the west edge of town provides a scenic trip to Rosetta.
Building in or near the Trade Cities
General Building Guidelines
- Any Member may elect to build in the New Trade Cities, which is launching with about fifty available plots. Each plot is marked with mandatory zoning and height restrictions.
- Protect our environment: Do not erode the cliff-face itself!
- If you are building downtown, you may build a 5-10 block basement into the plateau which can eventually connect to the new sewer system.
- Shops on the plateau should reflect a vibrant downtown - clothiers, specialty stores, etc.
- The east side of town is a bit more suburban with nice shops (check out the set of cartoon-prop stores shaped like what they sell).
- Residences should be built on the east side.
- A couple image reference searches to help you get acclimated to building in The New Trade Cities:
- Wild West Towns found within two horizon-lengths of The New Trade Cities may find themselves attacked or destroyed. This area includes Five Fingers Park.
- =MB= This structure was used by a guest to become a member.
- =NA= This structure was a part of the city of New Astoria on Pangea before being annexed by The Trade Cities.
Downtown / Plateau District
Spawling across a large singe plateau above with a lake to the south and forests to the north, the tops of skyscrapers sparkle and the grit of brick roads beckons travelers to wine, dine and gamble the night away. Vibrant local businesses and the headquarters for some famous Category:Companies can be found scattered throughout Link titlethis district. Business
- Ninewerks Labs
- Pangean Fire & Life Insurance Co. by Bobbyfeta
- Neutron Rocky Road Ice Cream, Inc. by NeutronRocks
- GummyGoo Towers by gummygoo =MB=
- National Pangean Society by sedentarygecko
- DOI Tower by Dr_Obvious
- Flying Merchant Co. Labs by TheGuyWhoCanFly
- Ninewerks Meerschaum Pipe Factory
- SORR-TEC Administrative Building by SorrowL
- AQUA Sports Manufacturing Facility by CalDaBeast
- TCTV Station by Means_Dan =MB=
- Kaleidosco. Stock Exchange by Kaleidoscope780
- Precinct 9 by giltwist =NA=
- Night Depository
- The Voxel Times Printing Press by AndyBz17
- Woody's Garage by TheWoodyMan
- Two-bit Barbershop =NA=
- Dirty Deeds Laundry =NA=
- prudencewaters, P.I. =NA=
- OMFG Taxi by OMFG_itzthatguy
- MetroVox Portal Train Shuttle Station
- MetroVox Lowerton Local
- The Victrola Hotel =NA=
- The Spiraling Shape
- CASINO by SpecterCody & TheWoodyMan
- "Cotton Club" jazz club by JUBBINS
- Apartments by Jomeaga
- Apartments by SpecterCody
- Apartments by minuseven
- The Blenne Haas Building by Zaccheus
- Brownstone Manor by jswizzy84 =MB=
- El Zorro Fumando Smoking Club
- Flying Merchant Co. Retail Branch by TheGuyWhoCanFly
- Chuck's Choppers by lonnon
- Gumshoe Bookstore =NA=
- Crates'R'Us by Kellador
- Cascadian Quartz by BrunoBraga
- Sushi 9
- Neutron Rocky Road Ice Cream Parlor by NeutronRocks
- Cakester's bakery by ridgedog
- Oreo Factory by Ej1090
- Gasper Diner by Giltwist & SpecterCody =NA=
- McVoxel's by ScruffyMonsters
- Hacksaw Bakery =NA=
- Creeper Fried Chicken
- McToasty's Fine Food Wine
- Cement Factory by Featherblade
- Bread Factory by BogartMurrell
- Koopman Oil Co.
- DCA Audiophile by DOS_CAT
- Mr. Cornwall's Warehouse
- Gaparty Textile Mill by MichaelAlexander
- Cis Co. Radio Tower by Ciscog33k
- Billet Family Steel Foundry by aasmith64
- Trainyard Crane by Tacorific82 =MB=
East of downtown and at the base of the plateau lies this quiet section of town features some great restaurants, homes and whimsical shops.
- PC Electronics by Giltwist
- Littelest Pet Shop by doublenum
- Knick Knack Shack by Strydez
- Banko's Music by 8bitdonut =MB=
- Sprite's Sonic Dooplicators by Spritefix
- klub 9
- Sports Bar by Valactian =MB=
- Van Gogh's Ear Poetry Theater by matthewdryden =MB=
- Voxelception Movie Theater by Renewablefrog =MB=
- Apartments by GavJenks
- Apartments by ferretferret =MB=
- Charlestown Flats by aasmith64
- Art Deco Apartments by Bobbyfeta
- Cheap Apartments by Kellador
- NTC Central Library by Kellador =MB=
- Firehouse by madley =MB=
- Gas Station by madley
- Hotel & Restaurant by ryanpitts =MB=
- Sunnyview Real Estate by Dr_Obvious
- MetroVox Downtown Commuter
- Sobblestone Factory by SorrowL
- Custom Flags
- Trade Cities Power Plant by 14fighter =MB=
- Duckington Flour Mill by Sir_Ducksalot =MB=
- Offshore Oil Rig by Noxinabox =MB= (This build is located offshore, west of the Lowerton sea walls.)
- OmNom NoodleShop by MrNomNom111
- Ninewerks Coffee
- Creeper Fried Chicken by Ej1090
- Sunset Bakery by SunsetSpecter =MB=
- Fwesh Sashimi by joshchonpc =MB=
- VoxeLager Microbrewery by AzulCaballero =MB=
- Barnington Grill
- The Oceanside Bar and Diner by xRILLIANx =MB=
- The Old Victorian Diner by xRILLIANx
- Neovictorian by Giltwist =MB=
- Manor by dolpdive =MB=
- Adobe by NeutronRocks =NA=
- Homes by gab0607, redworld2, Dr_Obvious, RasielD, RemorsefulKitten
The Train Yard
Following in the footsteps of the old cities' red and blue Portal Trains, a new Portal Train was comissioned by Ninewerks on January 15, 2012. The train was built, assembled in installed north of the cities in about two hours. Measuring over 450m in length the train includes:
- Portal Train Gate by Unknown_Phate
- Locomotive by _brent
- Coal car
- Two Coach class cars
- Business class car by rct3shadow
- Sleeper car by Valactian
- Diner car by gab0607
- Elitist Pricks car by ELEVn
- Hobo 4 Life car by jrider
- Cargo car by R8_Q88
- Water Tanker car by R8_Q88
- Gas Tanker car by znda32
- Secure Transport car by Brickman100
- Worst Kept Gov't Secret Ever by Giltwist
- Caboose by Dr_Obvious
Lots related to travel, trade and foreign embassies are set aside in the Train Yard.
- Train Car Diner by AkaXero =MB=
- VoxelCourt by jrider
- MetroVox Industries by sedentarygecko and rct3shadow - This building contains some great in-game tutorials on how to build and maintain your own rail stations!
- MetroVox Downtown Shuttle Station
- Customs Center by Ej1090
- MetroVox Station
Across a set of bridges on the west downtown lie several luxury residential lots. A strict homeowner's association keeps these lots available only to the absolute nicest examples of domicile-building, with substandard homes being reviewed and demolished regularly.
One of the earliest cities founded in the world of Pangea, The Trade Cities were set on an isthmus bridging the continents of North Myrtana and South Myrtana, bridging the River Poros with two of Pangea's massive oceans.
On December 31st, 2011, The Trade Cities were discovered leveled. It was soon discovered that an explosion emanated from somewhere in the industrial sector of the East Side. It is suspected that a Portal Train malfunction is to blame. Only a few buildings, the ships in the harbor and the MetroVox N-Line remained unaffected by the disaster.
On the other end of the swirling energies of the VoxelVerse, the Cities were sneezed out by VoxelGod in an orgiastic display of server-crashing pastes onto a tall, rocky plateau on the surface of the world of Facet. Re-arranged, the New Trade Cities stands as a shining example of Guest's whitelist projects, (as the city holds many whitelist-winning builds spanning a period of almost a year), member contribution (the cities boast and impressive list of member contributes) and technological demonstrations of plugins like VoxelGadget and VoxelMotion.